President’s News – August 2012
Thank you to Angelika for facilitating the August meeting. By all accounts I’ve received, Simon provided a very entertaining talk for you.
I hope you are all excited by the upcoming AGM on September 15! Don’t forget this is your opportunity to read a piece of your work. There are still a couple of spots left so if you’d like to read something please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that to be fair to everyone, each reader will only have 3 minutes – yes that’s three minutes, which equates to about one page.
I was overjoyed to spend a day with my grandbabies last week. Time with them is always precious, and particularly entertaining right now as Ellua is learning to speak – several languages simultaneously. She’s also learning the power of encouragement and has become very good at yelling out ‘well done, lady’ to the surprise of a woman who was power-walking past us, or ‘good try, one more time’ to her baby sister who is learning to eat solids. So – now you’ve all learned the hands in the air and ‘yay’ celebration, this month we can all practice saying ‘well done, one more time’ when we’re in need to a boost with our writing, or to give each other a little more encouragement.
You’ll find a few unusual writing competitions and weblinks below, and don’t forget:
1. The AGM in September. Yay, I hear you all say. Please let me know if anyone would be interested in joining the committee. A couple of people have already indicated interest which is terrific. Several have also indicated they would be happy to stay on, so that’s also great. I’d also invite you to please make sure your membership is renewed by the AGM, and thanks to those who already have.
2. We have the http://goldcoastwritersfestival.com/ and literary luncheon coming up from 26-28 October. With some early bookings already in make sure you book in and take advantage of the earlybird pricings at http://goldcoastwritersfestival.eventbrite.com.au Also keep a close eye on http://www.goldcoastwriters.org as well as http://goldcoastwritersfestival.com/ for updates. We have some very exciting people offering sessions this year. Check the websites for details.
3. GCWA competitions. Yay. Lots of opportunities for entries.
Check the home page of our website and follow the link for details of the Children’s Competition, Adult’s Competiton and Paint and Prose http://www.goldcoastwriters.org
Quote of the month
Plant trees. They give us two of the most crucial elements for our survival: oxygen and books. Whitney Brown Websites of interest Use your senses (all five of them) to write an effective query letter http://dld.bz/b8JHN Twooks, Twiction and Collaborative Fiction. http://shervster.tumblr.com/post/29581775181
Competition of the month
1. Fourth National Republican Short Story Competition Entry: $11.99 Length: 2000-4000 words First Prize: $500 Second Prize: $60 Third Prize: $40 Closes 6 November 2012 Details at http://republicanfiction.blogspot.com E: email@example.com
2. The Annual Margaret River Short Story Writing Competition is now open. We are seeking submissions on any topic. The required word limit is between 1200-3000 words and the closing date is November 30, 2012. We look forward to receiving your submissions. For details http://www.margaretriverpress.com/submissions/margaret-river-short-story-writing-competition/
3. National Seniors Literary Prize 2012? Details here: http://tinyurl.com/cpalqqp