2015 Writing Competitions
We are pleased to announce that all the final details for our adults and young writers competitions have been finalised. Entry forms and guidelines may be downloaded here or from the links below.
If you have any questions please contact Noela Cowell, Competitions Coordinator, on firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 Adult Writing Competition
Thank you for your interest in our second writing competition featuring a book proposal as part of the entry requirements. We are pleased to announce that final entrants have the opportunity to have their manuscript viewed by a major publishing house.
There are two categories – fiction and nonfiction. Please ensure you use the appropriate proposal template for the category you are entering:
Please read the guidelines carefully.
Your entry must comply with these guidelines or it will be disqualified.
The competition is open to all writers over eighteen years of age within Australia and internationally.
All entries must be accompanied by the entry fee of $30. You may pay online via PayPal to email@example.com or by direct deposit to the following account: BSB – 034 279; ACC 435364. Please email your receipt or deposit confirmation information for direct deposits to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can ensure that your entry is validated.
The competition entry is comprised of three sections: Entry form; book proposal; and writing sample. All three documents containing the requested information must be submitted to be accepted for entry in this competition.
- Entry Form (1 page)
- Proposal (maximum 2 pages)
- Writing sample (maximum 30 pages double spaced)
The book proposal serves a dual purpose. It will assist you to pitch your book to a traditional publisher and provide you with tools and resources to market and promote your book.
Closing Date: 30 August 2015
Winner Announced: 1 December 2015
Awards Presented: 12 December 2015 at GCWA meeting
Workshops and Support
A workshop will be presented on the Gold Coast, providing an overview of the competition requirements and the basics of how to write a book proposal. To be advised of workshop details please send an email to email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding the competition parameters or the guidelines please see the website www.goldcoastwritersfestival.com.au or email the competition coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
FICTION – Final judging will be conducted by editor, Annette Barlow, from Allen & Unwin.
NONFICTION -Final judging will be conducted by editor, Libby Turner, from Pan Macmillan.
Prize – both FICTION and NONFICTION – line edit and proof read from AS Editing & Proofreading.
Highly Commended Awards – awarded at the discretion of the judge/s.
2015 Young Writers’ Competition
Entry Fee: Free
7-10 yrs short story up to 350 words
11-13 yrs short story up to 500 words
Prizes: First place in each of the two sections will be awarded $50.
Runners-up will be awarded a GCWA Certificate of Achievement.
- Open to Australian residents aged 7-13 yrs.
- Manuscripts must be in English, double spaced in Times New Roman 12pt font and pages numbered 1 of 4.
- Entries should not have been published nor won a prize elsewhere.
- Names must not appear on the entry, only on the entry form.
- Entry forms must be signed by a parent or guardian as well as the entrant.
- Any entry found to be plagiarised, either in whole or in part, will be disqualified and any prize money unwittingly awarded must be returned.
- Mailed hard copy should be printed in black on white A4 paper, each page on one side only.
- Entries must be received by 15 September 2015.
- GCWA reserves the right to publish any entries. Copyright remains with the author.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.